Monday, September 29, 2008

The Office Move, Part 2

The move has taken place. Whilst on Friday I wrote blog from Notting Hill, today I am writing from Paddington.

I must say, the move has gone remarkably smoothly. Not only did I manage to find the building, I also managed to use my little card to get into the building, through the door onto my floor, and then found my desk. My computer was all set up, and the network was even set up. Oh, and my little packed crate was waiting for me as well. However, I feel obliged to add that the network has not hooked up for 2 of the 4 people in my little desk cluster. But overall, I think IT did an admirable job of pulling everything off.

To back track a little, I was quite nervous during my commute this morning. I paid extra mental attention to stay on the train at Notting Hill Gate, and took the exit from the tube straight onto the street, so as not to have to go through the station. After taking about two steps in the wrong direction, I turned around and headed up Eastbourne Terrace. The new building is at the opposite end of the street as the intersection with the station street, so it's a considerably longer walk than I had at Notting Hill Gate. I was rather nervous on the walk over, not really knowing what was going on.

After the initial shock of finding my desk, we were informed that there were pastries and orange juice on the first floor, so we all scuttled downstairs where the 1st floor people sort of gave us weird looks. It was in the 'break out room', which is a bit of a misnomer as it isn't actually a room, there's only a row of plants separating it from the surveys department. And there's no tv or anything. However, there is a tv constantly showing the news in the new reception area. So at least the receptionist will be entertained!

The new office is a bit closed off, considering how open plan it is. The building is shaped like an L, all of development is located in the short side of the L, and my group is somewhat isolated on the inside portion of that side. In the middle of the floors there are offices and printer areas and such. To make things extra exciting, fluorescent green has been used with little restraint as an accent color. There are green walls, green floors, and green chairs. Not sure how well those are going to age!

The bathroom is farther away, being located on the other side of the L, near reception, so really in the bend of the L, but the elevators and stairs are placed so that there's a long walk to get around.

In general, I'm not too sure what I make of the new office set-up. It'll be a little while until everything gets packed up (including the mugs everyone uses for tea, they've been left unpacked at the old office!), and so perhaps after a while it will feel a bit more like home. Well not home, but you know, a place I frequently go without finding it foreign.

3 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

Sigh, all this talk of fancy offices with towels and oranges. My government building has all the modern colors, unfortunately they're left over from the last time they were modern. We don't have a shower or a TV, and we have too few bathrooms. Ah well, I still have better than average benefits.

Anonymous said...

I think I need floorplan diagrams and pictures to sort this all out.

We may have big cubes to work in, are in a nice building next to a park, have a nice employee lounge, have plenty of food at meetings and for other events, have good benefits and bonuses, but we have to bring in our own mugs for coffee!! You are so spoiled!!!

Anglo Mango said...

But I don't even use the mugs.