Friday, September 26, 2008

The Office Move, Part 1

Today is my last day of working in Notting Hill. Starting Monday morning, I will officially work in Paddington. And while Paddington is associated with a soft cuddly, marmalade-loving bear, it has no romantic comedy associated with it, so therefore I'm afraid it must be a down-grade. That and my commute will be longer.

Anyways, chaos has been mildly building up over the past few weeks, erupting into something of a frenzy today. Believe it or not, a lot of things go into an office move! The aim seems to be to make things as easy as seamless as possible. Everyone has been issues (and by issued, I mean had to hunt down) a rented crate for taking our personal belongings. We have also been issued stickers on which we must write our new floor number, our group, our initials, and our new desk number. We must affix one of these stickers to our crate and each piece of our computers (including the mouse, which I think seems silly), and everything should reappear at our new desks on Monday morning. I'm afraid that the IT guys will be very busy this weekend...

It seems the greatest disaster of the move will be the changing of all of our phone numbers. We're supposed to leave new messages on our phones before leaving saying our new phone numbers but nobody has told us what our new individual phone numbers will be, so in my mind this presents a bit of a problem. Luckily not that many people call me so I'm not too concerned!

So indeed I'm a little sad to be leaving Notting Hill the area, but I'm eager to enjoy the fruits of working in a brand new building with all the modern conveniences. For example, I'm assuming the climate control system will work. And the elevator buttons will work. And I won't be located eerily close to a random gap in the wall. And water won't accumulate on the windowsills when it rains. For the most part we'll have all new desks, new chairs and new phones. We've been issued new security cards (but no instructions on how to use them or what to do when we actually get to the new office on Monday morning). Everyone is slightly displeased that the pictures on these new cards are rather squashed so everyone appears to have a very square head.

At this point I'm predicting that the network will not be working first thing Monday morning. In fact I'll be impressed if all of the computers are at the right desks. I'll be impressed if I'm even able to find my assigned desk...

Tune in Monday to see how this all turns out...

6 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

As a member of the IT department of a large organization, let me now officially stick up for my brethren. If anything should go wrong it will be the fault of 'the vendor' or the ISP. Or there may happen to be sun spots, they wreak havoc.

Anonymous said...

When our office moved 6 years ago, it was over a 3-day weekend. It was very well organized, and went incredible smoothly. But, it was over 3 days (about 250 people), and a very short distance, too. Doing it in 2 days through London seems a bit optimistic! The other incredible thing about that big move (and a major reshuffling a year ago) is the purging that goes on--the amount of recycled paper hauled out of the building was incredible, not to mention a lot of junk, too. A year ago when the reshuffling occurred, the recycling chute kept getting plugged. I think we should all have much smaller work spaces so all that stuff doesn't build up!

Aaron said...

In totally unrelated news, Oregon State beat USC last night. First time the Beavs have beaten the #1 team in the nation in 41 years. Go Beavs!

mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mark said...

My office is OK well my biggest thing would be after seeing Kathy's office last summer - their staff room has a pool table and ping pong etc - we have two couches a microwave, a tv and some tables and chairs - it would have an amazing view of st.pauls over the river but there is a building in the way!

My biggest complaint though is that there are no bathrooms or toilet rooms but only individual stalls! I always leave it to the last minute and have to run round the building until I find a free stall/room thing!

And although we preach travel planning etc we don’t have lockers and only have 6 showers for 300 people - which means you get people walking round in spandex in the early morning! We do though get fresh fruit and towels.

Margo's move means that she now has a commute that is sort of more equal to mine time wise :-)

mark said...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7598674.stm

why to look both ways....