Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Change of Season

It seems it's officially fall now. Aside from a gorgeous, hot sunny Saturday, the weather has definitely turned for the worse, with the rain coming in torrential downpours and a chill in the air. It's no deal. Some of my work skirts are really only appropriate in the summer so my wardrobe is going to effectively shrink!

That aside, I must say that one of the things that I still find kind of odd and unexpected about these parts is the ability to not just rain, as I expect it to rain, but rain vigorously. And to rain vigorously whilst accompanied by massive thunderstorms. Let's take the last three days. On Sunday morning I awoke to a very loud downpour that was soon accompanied by flashes of lightening and the distant roar of thunder. The rain continued most of the day, taking a nice break in the afternoon while I was thankfully out and about. Our house was so muggy that day that you could barely pick up a cold glass as they all got so slipper from condensation (the fact that we were doing lots of laundry did not help...). Yesterday was a dry day, but then for some reason the Circle Line was suspended during the evening commute because one of the stations was flooded (it was Baker Street, don't worry, they called in Sherlock Holmes to solve the case). And then this morning I again awoke to some very, very angry rain. As per usual, this translated into extra crowded, wet, muggy slightly delayed morning train times and a muggy office.

This lovely weather has been accompanied by news of the August weather (it seems strange to have news on past weather, but what are you gonna do, these are a weather obsessed people). It seems August had less sunshine than any other August since records began in 1929. This is really just a fancy way of saying that the weather was crap. To be honest, I thought May, June and July were so nice that would just be a bit greedy to want a nice August and September as well!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our summer suspended itself yesterday--we had to turn on the heat! Summer vows to return itself later in the week, and it will be in the 90s over the weekend. I'm lamenting the demise of sandal season. That actually cramps not only my feet but my work wardrobe.

You may have the thunderstorms and humidity, but thank goodness you don't have mosquitos and gnats to go along with that! I suppose you were too young when we lived in Minnesota to remember how all outdoor activities could be done with only one hand because the other was always in use brushing away bugs.

mark said...

in a way i am quite looking forward to the winter - not sure why though! like there are definate adbvantages of the colder months! though i must admit ive enjoyed not having to wear a coat to work!

i think my wardrope is more winter than summer then again i've been forced into investing in work clothes recently and thats no deal!

Buehler Recipes said...

My favorite thing about summer.. no socks! I hate socks.
Plus, I would like a few sunny days for the sake of our tomatoes. We have bunches of very green tomatoes on the vine. I'm hoping they will ripen before the first freeze, which from the look of things could be any day now.

Anglo Mango said...

I'd like to add that wearing nylons everyday is NO DEAL. Although I must admit that sometimes I'm tempted to go out and buy a vibrantly colored pair. Like aqua.