Friday, February 01, 2008

Pickle

Just a short one today! About everybody's favorite pasttime! You guessed it! Condiments!!!!

While I am personally not that big on condiments, I do live with what I shall term a big condiment fan. So I am exposed to the English-style use of a wide variety quite regularly.

For comparison purposes, I would say in the US the main-stays are ketchup, 'American' mustard, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and salsa. Of these, I generally partake of ketchup with fries and on burgers. And I like a bit of salsa. Oh, and let's say barbecue sauce. In addition to salsa, I'm working on incorporating these two into the English dialect - BBQ with chicken and apparently as a little snack to eat off your finger, salsa with scrambled eggs and tacos.

So on this side of the pond they again have the ketchup (on rare occasion termed 'red sauce'), mayonnaise, and mustard. Then things get trickier. In addition to mayo there is salad cream, which is sold next to mayo in the grocery store and essentially looks like mayo but smells different. I don't know if people put it on green salads, but Mark puts it on ham sandwiches and mixes it in with tuna. While we have the two main varieties of mustard, here there is a third, which is English mustard. It's more speckled than the unnaturally purely yellow French's brand variety, but less seedy than your Grey Poupon.

Then there is the ever-perplexing brown sauce. But I've come to believe it's just steak sauce. It's made by Heinz. There's some in my fridge. It may be used with steaks, but I don't ever have steak so I don't really know. It's most common usage involves being a dip for fries, or perhaps it's involved in eggs on toast, and ketchup is also used in both of these functions. They also use mayo with their fries sometimes, but I don't think I've seen salad cream used in such a role...

One that I totally don't get is the one I can't spell. Worchestershire sauce (pronounced 'Wooster')? It's a thin liquid that Mark does strange things with. He puts it in his tomato juice regularly, and then sometimes on things like pizza. It scares me so I don't really know what it tastes like.

In addition, the most commonly seenn form of the pickle is that of Branston pickle, which comes in a jar in what appears to be a really thick sauce. It's pickles in tiny little cubes combined with some kind of sauce, which is then spread on sandwiches. This creates such classics as the cheese and pickle. It's strange, but if you get a something and pickle sandwich, this is what you should expect!

And finally, a shout out to Brian the birthday boy! He'll be out partying tonight!! Hope it's a good one!

7 comments:

mark said...

Comedy...

wooster sauce (has to be lea and perins) is amazing adds a little extra a bit like Tabasco but not as severe in taste.

Salad cream (has to be heinz) is awesome but i think im odd in thinking so - totally different to mayo but used in the same role.

Brown sauce - (has to be made by HP) is just a classic normally with fry ups/chips.

tommy K - (has to be made by heinz) i have basically with everything much to my mums disgust!

English mustard - basically over here there are three main kinds, English, the 'hottest', French - the most wide ranging (and in my opinion the best) and American which (and I’m not sure how you guys view it) is not really a mustard and is more of a sauce like ketchup (but is good esp on burgers!)

Branston Pickle - awesome and an institution in the UK but just as easy to get other kinds of pickle just

there are many many more like mint sauce with lamb, horseradish with beef, bread sauce with turkey, i could go on but lets just say I like my "Pickle"

Buehler Recipes said...

I always have Worcestershire sauce on hand. I associate it with cheese - I put it in mac and cheese and in most white sauces. It gives a little kick.
Is salad cream anything like Miracle Whip (shudder)? It's kinda sweet and, well, disgusting.
My ex patriot British friends will talk of Brown Sauce and Pickle with a far-off wistfull look in their eyes.

Anonymous said...

Do you folks do tartar sauce? Or ranch dressing for dipping fries? I guess I have fries on my mind...

Miss Mango--that tuna noodle casserole that you used to love (and when did you start liking BBQ?) that has cream cheese in the white sauce also has a bit of Worcestershire sauce in it for a little flavor. Want the recipe?

We are very big on mustards here. Check the local company's website and be sure to click on the Beaver, inglehoffer, Old Spice, Napa Valley, and Tulelake tabs!

Anonymous said...

Apparently unbeknownst to you, we've had Worcestershire sauce in the cabinet forever. It has it's occasional use in certain recipes. Most notably, tuna noodle casserole.

Americans have a hard time with the pronunciation, but I think I have finally come to terms with it. We always want to say "wor-cest-er-shire (rhyming with fire)" in four syllables. I figured out that it's really three syllables: worce-(sounds like "worse")-ster-shur.

mark said...

its hard to describe what salad cream is. its definately not a cream and is more like ketchup but is used more like mayo. wikipedia has a good article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad_cream

mark said...

yeap i am also a big fan of tartar sauce normally with fish and chips. There is one called hollanaise or something like that? that my mum has with fish that I find absolutely disgusting!

This is interesting discovery about tuna Kathy as whenever I make myself a tuna sandwich Margo runs into the other room and hides (apparently the smell is too much!)

Brittany said...

I adore brown sauce - got a bottle of HP in the fridge as we speak! - and I use it on everything from chips to beans to pierogies.

Salad cream terrifies me.

Worchestershire sauce is a tasty thing, and extremely useful in cooking. I recommend experimenting with it.

Branston pickle... delicious! What I would give for a cheese and pickle sandwich about now. Mmm.

I enjoyed your ruminations on British condiments, but you are forgetting an utter institution - Marmite! Savoury essence in a little pot (now squeezable!).