Thursday, February 07, 2008

Legal again...

So I'm pleased to report that after nearly two weeks of legal limbo, I've received my new visa under the International Graduate Scheme. I can now live and work legally in the UK (but no public funds for me!) until the end of January 2009. Given my 'not quite right for the scheme' status, which is completely the University of Southampton's fault, I have been a bit wary about whether or not I would be successful in my application for the visa, so needless to say this is a huge relief. Having finally received the visa I needn't fear deportation for the remainder of the calendar year and feel like I can actually make plans for that time without the 'well it might not happen' voice in the back of me head. Oh, and perhaps most importantly, I can get my work contract extended, meaning I shall be able to pay for these plans I am making.

In addition, with the return of my passport I have now been re-elevated to 'actual person' status, and a) won't have to cancel my trip to Munich next week, b) can transfer money to myself at the bank, c) can hopefully finally discover the secret of what exactly my National Insurance number is.

While I'm sure it would be very exciting to discuss all of these things in depth, there were severe delays on the District Line this morning, delaying my arrival at work by approximately 40 minutes and thus cutting short my set aside blog-updating time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray.

Anonymous said...

That must be a big relief! I hope you've made some good quality photocopies and have them stored in a good place--maybe a couple of places.