Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Land of the GIANT ticket

For some reason the English just can't go half-way when it comes to the size of event tickets. It has literally taken me this long to fully realize this, but they are literally all just unnaturally large. By now I have been to my fair share of concerts, sporting events and West End shows, and they all share one thing: GIANT TICKETS. You know how when you get tickets from, like, Ticketmaster and they are that skinny rectangle shape that you can easily put in your wallet? Basically all tickets you buy to things come in wallet-friendly sizes. This is not true in the land of the giant ticket.

Last night I went to see Phantom of the Opera, and happen to still have my ticket on me. I would say this ticket is very typical of the other tickets I've seen around these parts, although some are a bit more square. Anyways, it measures 5 5/8 inches by 3 1/4 inches, and this is after the end bit was ripped off when I went in so say it started out around 7 inches wide. Why must they be so big? Why? I am tossing out the 'so they're easier to keep track of' argument simply because they are too big to be put into a wallet, meaning you have to let them ride free-style in your bag, mixed in with your gum, keys, umbrella, kleenex and all that other stuff. They are also too big to really put in your pocket, if you had them in your back pocket you might as well have a sign that says 'take me, I'm easily grabbable' on them.

And the English seem really concerned with the environment, with all this carbon footprint let's ride our bikes stuff, but then they make tickets the size of small F-150s. There are like 30 major plays alone in London every night, not to mention concerts and other ticketed events, meaning thousands and thousands of tickets must be printed. Like a hundred trees must be sacrificed, at least, just to produce tickets to London events every day. Now, if they made the tickets normal size that would be like 50 trees a day saved.

I might also add that these tickets do not include any additional information to what is found on a normal size ticket. Sometimes there are pretty little backdrops, but these don't really add much to the experience from my point of view. If anything the smaller ticket would add to my enjoyment because I wouldn't have to go to so much trouble to find a place to put this giant ticket after entering the venue and could just stuff it in my pocket.

If you are ever in town and don't believe me, I shall show you my giant ticket collection. But only if space allows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the show ticket world will buddy up with the airline ticket world and they will all go to e-tickets on cell phones. Viola! No paper at all. Of course, lose your phone, lose your ticket, but I'm sure no more phones are lost than tickets anyway, especially giant tickets.

mark said...

interesting point and i agree actually i was thinking last night why is this ticket so big like it doesnt fit in the wallet! All tickets are that big too!

I agree like everythink will soon be done with either phones or a card. Like actually some soccer teams have introduced a credit card system where games are loaded on to the card to speed up getting into the stadium and to try and reduce black market tickets as you keep your card!

we might be miles behind you guys with that? but i thought it was a good idea!