Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Current immigration status

So I think I am in official legally in this country limbo right about now. After returning from Amsterdam, I didn't get my new Lloyds card until that Thursday, so Friday I hightailed it into town and got myself a new phone so I could you know, have contact with other people. One of my initial phone calls was to the home office. The lovely lady I spoke to basically told me that I was here as a tourist and that I needed to go back to America to apply for a new visa. After a big of 'but, but' arguments, she seemed at least willing to give me a chance and told me the form that I needed to fill out and that I should write a letter to accompany it stating my case, but that a new visa was by no means guaranteed. Being the nerd that I am, I made this phone call from one of the buildings full of computer labs, so after getting off the phone I had to go and explain the situation to the travel buddies. They weren't impressed, to say the least. I indeed wrote a scary letter. It was difficult to find the right balance between looking like I blatantly broke the law and me making the British consulate looking completely mean and at fault. I figured the home office wouldn't be impressed with such an argument. A couple days after sending it all off (including my newly found emergency passport), I got a letter saying they have received it but don't know how long it will take. The website says that 70% are handled within 4 weeks. And most of those cases are most likely just dealing with expired passports. Mine involves a police report written in gibberish and an interpretation of a conversation with an immigration officer, which to me implies some degree of complexity.

Other than all that, I am managing to slowly piece things back together. Write now my wallet is sadly empty. I was almost excited to get a copy card because it meant something to go in an additional slot.

On the visitor front, the immediate family arrived in the UK today. They are currently up in London and I will be going up tomorrow for the day to greet them. That also means that approximately one-third of my readers will be away for the next three weeks. Hopefully nothing too exciting will go on (although I'm hoping for at least a few fun day trips over Easter break, which starts next week and extends until mid-April)!

5 comments:

Lisa Katzke said...

This sounds like quite the adventure. I'm sort of glad that we decided to stay within the UK for our trip now! Spain could have been problematic.

Anonymous said...

with all the international students in the UK, they have to encounter this sort of thing all the time, right? i bet they have a standard protocol "Intoxicated International Student Robbed and Now Without Visa." i just assumed you were intoxicated.
:-)

Anonymous said...

SPAIN!

Anglo Mango said...

Spain could definitly have been problematic! But I'm excited for Edinburgh, should be cool and northerly!

And I can't believe one would assume I was intoxicated! I don't even drink alcohol.

I wonder who could be leaving anonymous comments...

Lisa Katzke said...

Yes, it will enjoyable. I still have yet to do do any research whatsoever on what there is to do while I am visiting you, just so you are aware.