Saturday, March 03, 2007

Amstderdam, Part 5


We've finally gotten to Monday. I think I can safely describe this day as one of the most stressful ever. It started with an early morning wake-up and a tram trip back to Museumplein to find the US consulate. Luckily one could spot the American flag and tall security fence from some distance away.


There are numerous steps involved in getting into this place. You first have to press the buzzer and they ask what you want. If you have legitimate reason (luckily I did), they will let you in, but want to know how many people are with you. Then you proceed inside the first layer of tall security fence and get your bags searched by yet another young-looking blonde Dutch boy, who asks you a few questions (and in my case, makes you fill out a form because you have no proof of your identity), and then wands you with a very sensitive metal detector. You then proceed through second layer of fencing and get to wait outside a locked door. When they give the okay, you are then allowed in a tiny little room (with your companions), where you again show ID and talk about your feelings, get your bags searched, leave your phone, camera, and most bags, and then when instructed, go through another metal detector. You have then safely made it inside the US consulate in Amsterdam. There are two rooms, one for non-Americans, one for Americans. Safely inside the much less busy American room, I filled out some forms for a new passport and reported the old one long gone, got a new passport paid for, took an oath, and then had to depart to go get some passport photos. I must also note that travel companions were severely disappointed that there is no bathroom at the consulate and were therefore oddly excited to go to a photo store to use their facilities. So then we went and found the photo store, got my pictures, wrote my name on the backs of them (as instructed), quickly discovered that I had managed to get pen on the front of two of them and couldn't get it off, and then dropped the scary photos back off at the consulate (one of the security folks came and got them through the fence). I could go back at 2:30 to pick up an emergency passport. Yay, American consulate. They're on my good side right now.


After this we decided to visit the British consulate for a little compare/contrast and to ask about my visa situation. We finally found the consulate, as it was sort of off the beaten path, and were promptly turned away because we didn't have an appointment. We instead were given a piece of paper with the phone number on it. Upon calling this number, I was told to call back between 3 and 4:30 for questions regarding visas. When I tried asking more questions the operator just kept saying '3 and 4:30' and eventually hung up. So we left the British consulate and decided to look for some nice Dutch souvenirs to kill time until I could pick up emergency passport.


Back in the shopping area, we picked up some giant Amsterdam pens, a pair of clogs, and some bagels for lunch. And then finally it was time to head back to the consulate. Tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion to my time in Amsterdam.

No comments: