Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Wall



Have you ever gone to the store and realized you were deep inside English Walmart? Yeah, I have. And it's called Asda. They have rollback prices; that's what clued me in. But by this time I already had hangers in my cart and due to their unnaturally complex store layout, I didn't think I could leave without buying something. You gotta hand it to that walmart. They are very, very good at what they do.

Aside from selling a little bit of my soul, getting a cell phone and a hairdryer (yessss), and checking out Topshop, I also learned a little bit about the local history while I was at the city center, as illustrated in the above. What you have clip of there is technically called Bargate North, which is a fancy way of saying it's the North Gate. Ha, northgate. So back in 'the day' (which according to their placard, is like, 1295), this was the main gate to enter the city from the north. It is coincidentally the farthest south I have gotten. There are some remains of the wall around town and you can apparently walk along them. If you are indeed into that sort of thing. At this point I am looking into alternative photo posting possibilities.

Weird English saying of the day, heard during induction program: 'Don't forget so to do' instead of 'Don't forget to do so'.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So here's the crucial question. Basically the whole reason you went abroad. H&M or Topshop? If you were in the middle of a street with one on both sides, where would you turn?

Anglo Mango said...

Oh, Topshop. I went in there. While smaller than the H&M, there were more things there that I enjoyed.

Anonymous said...

speaking of european stores, i visited our own little piece of across the seas in bell square yesterday. yes, MNG, owned by 'mango' or something like that. i was a little surprised by the prices, i thought they were in the runnings with H&M but i guess i was wrong... it was kind of 'nordstrom-ish.' hmph.

Anonymous said...

I had to check out asda for myself... http://asda.co.uk/ "a part of the WAL*MART family" They had to rename it in order to trick the brits into going. Maybe they should try that here.