Saturday, September 30, 2006

Fash-on


So I went into London today. Took the 8 am train. Now they are doing 'engineering' work, which seems to be what they call construction, so instead of getting into London at 9:20 as it normally would, the train got in at 10:10. Yeah, so on the way back I took the 4 pm train that with the engineering work was scheduled to get in at 6 pm, but there was some sort of accident and then the train broke and we had to get off and wait for another, so it didn't get in until almost 7 pm. I'm beginning to understand why the English complain about the train service now.

Anyways, I mainly just kind of walked around and ducked into a few museums around town. I put up a selection of pictures on picasa (the sneak preview of me in Trafalagar Square is above there). In just a few hours I managed to see Van Gogh's Sunflowers, the Rosetta Stone, and the Elgin Marbles, and a gazillion other things that I spent nearly a second looking at before moving on. Anyways, most of you have been to London, so I will not dwell.

So the nitty gritty. I've been here nearly a week now and I consider this long enough to observe the local fashions. The skinny leg look is much more widespread here than in Seattle. Skinny jeans with ugly 80s looking boots are in, as are the leggings that go down to either the knee or the ankle, and it seems like all tops must extend at least 3 inches past the hip. Now, a good number of people are not actually able to pull off this look, but they dress this way anyways. I don't think it really flatters anyone quite frankly. Oh, and there are lots of high belts that don't seem to have any actual function. And all of these people are carrying Topshop bags. I don't think I saw anyone with an H&M bag, but everyone had Topshop. There also is not much of a 'name brand' purse scene. This leads me to think that there is much more emphasis on having a certain look and style about yourself in lieu of having a look and style that everyone knows you spent a lot of money on. This is both good and bad. It's good because you don't have to spend a lot of money on your clothes to be cool, but bad because all I have going for me fashion-wise at this point is a fancy purse. Oh, but good because I have only counted one pair of Sevens since arriving, and that was in the tube today and for all I know the girl was American.

There is a bar in town called 'The Giddy Bridge'.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a D on D scene?

Anglo Mango said...

There is not a D on D scene. But I have scene Lees and Levis quite a bit, after an American absence of quite some time.

Anonymous said...

D on D? I guess I'm just not hip as the two of you. I'm not down with the latest fashion, if you will.

I don't know why whoever controls fashion insists on skinny pants coming back. They are so unflattering. Ryan and I enjoy the Audrey Hepburn Gap commercial though.

Anglo Mango said...

That gap commercial is slightly disturbing. And D on D is a bad thing. Denim on denim. Like a denim jacket with jeans.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the skinny pants with long tops will be a better look on more people than the muffin top and butt crack fashion of last year, and still seen in such places as Springfield, Oregon.

Are denim jackets still fashionable?

Anonymous said...

Oohh...denim on denim...I'm with you. That's why I have trouble with jean jackets--I like them but what can you wear them with??

Anglo Mango said...

Khakis. I think you can wear them with khakis. At least that's what I wear them with...