Thursday, June 19, 2008

Bill v Rick

Given my more or less constant annoyance at the existence of Rick Steves, and my more or less constant admiration for Bill Bryson, you can imagine my delight when the two managed to intersect for a rather amusing, well, sentence or two.

The following is an excerpt from Bill Bryson's 'Notes from a Big Country':

There were four books exclusively on Britain, plus another eight or so on Europe generally, with chapters on Britain. My favourite, at a glance, was Rick Steves' Europe 1996. I had never heard of Rick, but according to the jacket he spends several months each year 'feeling the fjords and caressing the castles', which sounds awfully diligent if a little pointless.

Now, I do like Bill, and he's become my favorite tube riding author (I even got a random comment one day as a man said to me 'have you read a walk in the woods?' I have not, but he says it's good), and to find him making fun of little Rick Steves for the essentially the same reasons as myself is really quite refreshing. Perhaps more importantly, I now consider Bill Bryson to be firmly on my side in the Rick Steves credibility war.


In more general terms, I am finding this current Bill book very interesting, as well as amusing. So what you have is an American who lived in England for the better part of 20 years back living in America writing a column on American life for an English newspaper. Anyways, it's a good read for short time periods (like waiting at the dentist, riding the bus, waiting for your drink at Starbucks) because the book is just a collection of columns that are very reasonable lengths!

5 comments:

Chris O said...

I love that Bryson book. I think it's the best one. I don't think Walk in the Woods was the best but its still a good read.

mark said...

i am a fan of rick! i thought he did a good job for paris!

on a different note i think this is good - from the most recent rough guide on england:

As a glance at the tabloid newspapers will confirm, England is a nation of overweight, alcopop-swilling, sex- and celebrity-obsessed TV addicts. But it’s also a country of animal-loving, tea-drinking, charity donors thriving on irony and Radio 4. It’s a country where accent and vocabulary can stamp a person’s identity like a brand, where a tiny land-owning aristocracy, who in some cases trace their roots to the Norman Conquest of the eleventh century, still own most of the land. But it’s also a genuine haven for refugees, and a country of immigrants from more than 100 ethnic backgrounds. It’s a nation where commuters suffer overpriced, under-funded public transport services, and where the hearts of many towns – and increasingly their outskirts – consist of identikit retail zones. Yet it’s also a country where individuality and creativity flourish, fuelling a thriving pop culture and producing one of the most dynamic fashion, music and arts scenes to be found anywhere.
Ask any English person to comment on all of this and – assuming you’re not trying to communicate with a stranger in a public place, which in London at least can be seen as tantamount to physical assault – you’ll get an entertaining range of views. Try to make sense of these, and the resulting picture might suggest something akin to a national identity crisis – the people themselves can’t agree on who or what they are.

Anonymous said...

You went to the dentist?

Buehler Recipes said...

I loved A Walk in the Woods. You really felt you were right there with them on the trail eating cakes and stealing annoying people's boot laces.

Anglo Mango said...

Don't be silly! I didn't go to the dentist! I was just suggesting that the book could be read while at the dentist, as some people drive to work instead of traveling by sustainable means!