Monday, March 09, 2009

Treble

I have recently noted a few more signs of obstinacy amongst the English. Number one: they use the word 'treble' instead of 'triple'. There is absolutely no reason for this, as far as I can see. If one of the two options actually resembled the word 'three' it would have upper hand, but as both exclude the 'h', I don't really see how either one could be better than the other. However, as Americans use the word triple, we should win as there are more of us. I'm not sure if anyone in these parts has yet been tempted to use the term 'three-peat'.

My next sign of obstinacy is the use of the word 'fixture'. Sports teams do not have 'schedules' they have 'fixtures'. Up until I learned this little trick I found it next to impossible to find out when Chelsea would be playing at home (and I can therefore make plans to avoid game traffic), as when you look up 'Chelsea schedule' you don't really find anything of use. However, as I discovered the other day, if you look up 'Chelsea fixtures' you are immediately lead to a schedule of games. So another thing to keep in mind - my gym has a class schedule, Chelsea has a list of fixtures.

Let's say you want to arrange a meeting of some kind. The Anglo you are aiming to meet with will again not check their schedule or their calendar, they will check their diary. Mind you, I have no idea what they record their personal thoughts and feelings in if their diary is just a list of dates. Of course, a wall calendar is still called a wall calendar, just to be annoying.

So to sum things up, if you want to jot down on your calendar that there are three soccer games on Saturday, you would write that there is a treble bill of football fixtures in your diary.

Don't say I never taught you anything useful!

3 comments:

Buehler Recipes said...

If we go to dinner with our british friends we are always tasked with making the reservation. My friend can't remember to NOT say "I'd like to book a table".

Aaron said...

What are these "soccer games" you speak of?

One that really gets me is soccer announcers using the word "pace" instead of "speed". As in "He used his great pace to get past the defenders on that one." But the REALLY funny thing about that is American announcers calling an American soccer game for an American audience also use the word pace.

Anonymous said...

interesting you said that i was thinking the same thing with american football. we get americans in the studio (in london) and another american comentary team. not sure why really?

also quite funny watching the super bowl on the bbc (who dont normally show football) as they dont have adverts so everytime a advert was shown in the states they cut back to the studio - they had obviosly prepared though as each time they had a different segment. not something you could repeat on a regular basis though!