Friday, March 13, 2009

Red Nose Day

Today is red nose day. No, that does not mean you have to spend the day drinking until your nose turns red. Instead it means that it's Comic Relief's big fundraising day, and if you care about others you will have by now gone to your local Sainsbury's and spent £1 on buying this year's nose. And wearing last year's nose does not count.

Comic Relief is essentially a charity that raises money for the needy in both Africa and the UK. It's essentially hard to disagree with and so a lot of hoop-lah goes into their big fundraising events every year. A group of somewhat random UK celebrities (aka, no one in the US has ever heard of them) climbed Kilimanjaro last week, there are random celebrity dancing shows now raising money for the charity, and last but not least, at Mark's work you have to pay £1 if you wore red today - and £2 if you didn't. Basically, there's no way to avoid this thing, and you will inevitably feel guilty if you don't donate a bit of money.

Personally I prefer to give money to charities that I support, not just to ones that make me feel guilty if I don't. Luckily my work is not squeezing money out of me today, and I will tactfully avoid any telethons that may or may not be taking place that involve celebrities dressing up in silly outfits and making fools of themselves with intermittent messages telling me what good work the charity does. It might make me seem like a bit of a scrooge, but it just sort of irks me the way they roll the whole thing out!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of a no-frills type charity-giver myself. I've decided what's important to me, investigate charities involved with that, choose those that pass along most of the $$ (££ in your case) and not pocket it for "administrative" costs, and dodge the rest. The dodging part is getting more difficult. It seems as if there are people on every street corner laying on guilt trips to passers-by to try to get them to give. It backfires, people -- backfires!! I will never give to your organization! Take that!!!

Anonymous said...

Thankfully I too have avoided Comic Relief related harassment today. I don't object to the cause but I hate the way it is organised to make a big show of giving like somehow if you don't give to this one particular thing then you might as well go to Africa and kill the children yourself.

What is almost as annoying is how the BBC latch upon this and then beat you over the head with it for what this year seems to have been a record period of about a month. Then they BBC proceed to use it as a big show of oh how good they are and they trot out the celebrities to make a show of oh how good they are and this years message that if you have so much as even £5 to your name then you are killing a child of malaria by not buying them a mosquito net.

Now I've written it down I feel like a bad person. Damn them and their insidious ways!

Anonymous said...

i like red nose day - i think it gets people who wouldnt normally donate to charity to donate. (i.e. me!)

i think it doesnt take money from other charity's as the majority of people who give money do so as a one off "ooo im watching i might as well" or as something organised through work or school. i.e. everyone turning up in red at work is quite cool.

also i dont mind the whole guilt thing on tv as i see adverts like that daily on tv and on the tube...
"donate only two pounds a month..."


they raised over £50 million on the night with a likely £20m more to come in the following weeks - the only bad thing about it is its incredibly bad tv - a good night to go out!