Monday, February 02, 2009

Snow day!


It's apparently made the news in those parts, but in case you haven't heard, it snowed! In London! And stuck! It's been very cold here for the last week or so and last night it started to snow. It snowed all night, sticking everywhere. 

Being next to the District Line, I was pretty sure it wasn't running this morning when I woke up. Well, not only was the district line not running (in these parts, at least) but almost no tube lines were running, a lot of the overground services were shut down, the airports were closed, and for the first time ever, all buses were cancelled. So Mark and I didn't make it to work today, but we both managed to get some work done from home (taking turns on the computer, I really must get that laptop fixed!). Quite frankly, it's been a bit of a boring day! I haven't actually left the house! 

There's still plenty of snow on the ground and its quite cold outside. More of the train lines are running, but thinks are still a bit of a mess out there. There has been talk that more snow might appear overnight. I'm actually scheduled to work from home tomorrow morning to wait in for a delivery, but at this point I think it's a) possible that I would have to work from home again if the Edgware Road line of the district line still hasn't opened and b) that if I do wait in, the delivery folks won't be venturing out to bring me my table and chairs! Hopefully it will all go smoothly...

Anyways, having not left the house, I don't think I can really add much more. However, I can relay second hand information! Mark did make an attempt to go to work this morning. Again, being next to the tracks, we could see that some trains were running towards the city (his branch of the district line), so he put on his massive waterproof boots and walked to the station to discover that a bunch of people had walked up from Putney to try and catch a train, and that while a few trains were going by, they were unable to stop at the station (it's outdoors and uncovered, so I image they literally couldn't stop), but everyone could feel free to walk one stop up in 5 inches of snow to Fulham Broadway where they were stopping. Mark didn't believe them (nor did anyone else) and instead threw in the towel and came back home. It's for the best, I think. The powers that be seemed to be discouraging people from traveling as there was more snow in the forecast for the afternoon (and we did get a bit more!). So alas, I think we're hoping for an improvement tomorrow just to relieve the boredom!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard that there are no snowplows in London. And people laugh at how Portland comes to a standstill when a few inches of snow falls, though we are a bit hilly and that complicates things.

You need a cat or two for entertainment for days such as these!