Tuesday, January 13, 2009

My Never Ending Move

Believe it or not, but I still haven't moved yet. Mind you, I have moved lots of things, but I myself am still living at my old residence. We had hoped to have moved in this past weekend, but fate (and the elevator) is clearly against us.

This past Saturday, our refrigerator and washing machine were scheduled to be delivered. This was to involve me waiting at the new flat for a four hour period while Mark went down to Brighton to partake in some festivities. Alas, when I arrived at the new flat at the start of this period, I noticed there was a note on the elevator door saying that it was indeed really, really broken and would be for a number of days. Logic would say this would impact the delivery of appliances to a fourth floor apartment, so I informed Mark who tried making contact with the delivery folk, but to no avail. He also resigned to put off his departure to Brighton until the whole situation was resolved.

Cut to 3 hours into the waiting period: I've been spending 3 hours putting together our Ikea dresser and we still haven't received word on the delivery, well, until then. We get a call saying that the delivery will likely take place in 40 minutes (depending on traffic). Mark informs them about the lift situation.

Cut to 4.5 hours into the waiting period: the delivery men finally arrive, after driving around being lost and unable to find our street for a while. They say they can 'try' to delivery the stuff, but if it breaks it's not their fault. That sounded like good motivation to let something break on the first flight of stairs, so we had to reschedule the delivery. It's now coming on Thursday. As of yesterday the elevator was still broken, and while we're hoping it will be fixed today or tomorrow, there's certainly no guarantee. And as people who generally like refrigerated items, we haven't wanted to willingly live somewhere without a fridge when we have an option that includes one.

So the move continues for now. Tonight is slated to be our last night in the old place. We've got a car booked for tomorrow evening to move over a few more bulky items, seemingly including ourselves! We have to hand back over our keys by the end of Thursday, so if the fridge doesn't come by then we'll be a bit SOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't move our fridge three feet away from the wall -- I couldn't imagine moving one up three flights of stairs! And only one lift for the entire building? Bad idea! I can just see it now -- hoisting a fridge up the side of the building and onto your balcony... Good luck with it all!

Anglo Mango said...

Might I add that it is not as big as a standard American fridge! It's actually quite a lot smaller - narrower, I think a bit shorter and probably not as deep!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to rant about delivery and repair people. I meant to do that. It just seems to me that in this day of navigation systems and cell phones that these people can give you a half hour to an hour's notice as to when they will be at your place. This waiting at home for hours for someone is such a waste. Someone should figure out the economic impact. I'm not going to put up with this crap anymore! It's worked with repair people who want my business, but I haven't tried it when buying something huge that needs to be delivered. Next time, before I hand over that credit card, I'm going to make sure delivery is on MY terms, or I'm walking. More people need to do this!!