Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Anglo Digits

One of the things that continues to baffle me is the complete lack of consistency in the clustering and pronunciation (not really the right word, but more how they are cluster when being audible relayed) of phone numbers.

Believe it or not, but just this morning I had to do a check to see how many digits are in an English phone number. The answer, surprisingly enough, is 10, just like American numbers. However, the English make it eternally difficult for people like me to remember phone numbers by displaying them in essentially any such way. Here at work I'm working on organizing some interviews with some local authorities, and as part of this list I have copied and pasted in the phone numbers of the people attending the meetings as listed in their emails, and then I have my own phone number as listed in my emails. This small combo of phone numbers results in three different clusterings of digits, as follows:

012 3456 7890
0123 456 7890
01234 567890

You also often see phone numbers simpled denoted as 01234567890.

At this point I should probably add that all phone numbers start with a zero, as technically you find long distance calls in the US starting with a 1.

English phone numbers never have dashes, implying how to easily cluster them together. The other day when I made an appointment for a haircut, I clustered my phone number in typical American fashion (0123-456-7890), only to have it repeated back to me in a totally different way (01234-567-890), and I was like, yeah, I think that is my number. What all this inconsistency has made me realize is how much I rely on the 'beat', so to speak, of a phone number to help me remember it. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what my cell phone number is, and I have to make sure I write it down to have on hand when I make an appointment by phone.

Here are some additional points on what makes up an English phone number...
Like with American numbers, the beginning technically forms an area code. A full area code is four digits, for example, Southampton numbers start with 02380. As can be expected, cities are often too large to be able to encompass everyone with a four-digit area code. Unlike in the US, where they would then just assume another random area code, they will keep the first three digits and then the 4th digit will come to denote a certain area within the city. For example, Manchester phone numbers start with 0161.

Being especially big and massive, London can't even cope with a three-digit area code. A London phone number is instead simply denoted as starting with 020. Central London is generally 0207, but then when you get down to Croydon or something similar, you move over to 0208.

Phone numbers get even more specific than that, my home phone number shares something like 6 digits with the phone number of some of the local businesses. Much like an English post code, it seems my phone number ropes me into a much smaller area than its American counterpart (FYI, a full English post code only applies to a few houses on a particular street).

The place where this breaks down is cell phones. Cell phone numbers in the UK start with 07, and from there on out it seems the possibilities are expanding as the number of cell phones increases. Typically a cell phone would start with 0786, 0787, or 0788. How these things get decided, I don't really know. And of course, I again must admit that I don't even know how mine starts...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been puzzled about how to group digits on European phone numbers, and usually end up "Americanizing" them. It really does help one remember them if they are in little packets. I think someone needs to start an official campaign to do just that. I think you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Behold my telephonic geekdom:

Firstly, a large part of the randomness of UK phone numbers is due to the spate of spontaneous number changes which happened through the 1990's. This spawned a significant incompetence amongst the population.

The current proper spacing (if one is used) is as follows:
0xx xxxx xxxx or
0xxx xxx xxxx or
0xxxx xxxxxx

The 3,4,4 combo is for when the area code is 3 digits. These are the largest cities such as London which is 020. It is true that numbers in London start 0207 or 0208 (or sometimes 0203) but technically the 7 or 8 is not part of the code. If I am dialing locally I would have to include it but I could drop the 020.

4,3,4 is for the mid sized cities like Leeds or Coventry where you could drop the first 4 if dialing locally.

Most numbers are in the 5,6 format including mobiles. The first five are the area code and cn be dropped if locally.

There is some area-ness to it all and this I think is the source of the confusion. For example: Southampton is 02380. But it isn't. Its actually 023 and all the local numbers start 80. You couldn't drop that 80. The 023 code is shared in that way between there and Portsmouth which uses 92 after the 023.

My parents live in the 01763 code which is a small town called Royston. But they live in a small village and all the numbers start 281 (i.e. 01763 281xxx) but you couldn't just dial the last three digits.

The London one is awkward because prior to the 020 it had two codes of 0171 and 0181. And before that 071 and 081. And before that 01.

In the 10 years I lived in Watford our number changed from: 0923 33285 to 0923 233285 to 01923 233285. There were a number of these changeover days all called annoying marketing things like "The Big Number". 1's got added to the area codes and that sort of thing. I think the changes to 0171/81 and 020 in London got changeover months or years.

The result of all of this is that most people have no idea when writing a phone number of how to present it.

The mobile (cell for the US readers here) number codes are allocated by network. For example 07836 is a Vodafone code and 07719 is an O2 code. But because you can change networks and take your number with you it is not a sure fire thing these days. Incidentally, you can never drop the "area code" on cells even if you're calling someone on the same code.


I warned you of the geekdom before you started to read this...

/endgeek


I've always wondered why the lettering of phone numbers like 1-800-BUYNOW or whatever, never really caught on here.

Buehler Recipes said...

This calls for an international summit. All Anglo blog readers need attend.
How's the South of France for everyone?

Anonymous said...

I'm attempting this on my phone so it might not go so well!

I can make the south of France! Are you paying Sara?

It makes more sense than people are saying:

07 is mobile
09 is premium rate
08 is freephone
01 is for most smaller towns and villages. It recently changed from 0 to 01 to add more numbers into the system as popln grew and more people at the time took out a second phone line for Internet before asdl/isdn etc! For instance Emsworth went from 0243 to 01243
02 is for larger cities etc

Easy no?

Ooo and normal way of writing numbers for non city folk like myself is

Xxxxx xxxxxx

Or xxxxxx if in same area code

This is the same for mobiles