Tuesday, April 07, 2009

G20

London was lucky enough to host the G20 summit last week. I know, we completely lucked out on that one! Thanks, Gordon Brown, for volunteering!

I won't bother going through what actually was achieved at the summit, mainly as I have no idea, but will instead discuss what impact it has on my day to day life. The summit itself was held at the Excel Centre, in very far east London. The protesters who manifested themselves overnight decided to concentrate their efforts around the US embassy, the Bank of England and the rest of the City and Canary Wharf. Lucky for me, I spend just about all of my time in west London, far from all these sites. So basically, the G20 summit has no impact on myself whatsoever. A bit sad, I know, but true.

However, there was much talk of the G20 and the impact it would have on the folks who worked in the banking sector. Apparently the banks were telling their employees that they should 'dress down' last week when the protesters were about, as if for some reason the fact that they are walking into the RBS building at 9am doesn't imply that they are a banker so much as the fact that they might be walking down the street wearing a suit. In the end, I did not hear any reports about pulverized bankers. Thanks goodness they were able to go incognito!

As seems to be the rule with things like this these days, the peaceful types with things to say were over-shadowed by people who used the whole thing as an excuse to steal computers out of high street banks. In front of lots of police and cameras. When will these people ever learn!

1 comment:

mom said...

Yesterday was our first warm week day since last fall. I went on my usual walk, and saw that the show-offs were out in force. The pale, fat guy with a huge beer-belly and no shirt walking his dog; the guy on the bike riding on just the rear wheel with the front one up in the air who couldn't see where he was going, etc. It's all about "look at me!" Same with the people who damage property and hurt people in the name of their cause -- it's not really about their cause. They just want to show-off and brag about what they did, and complain about police brutality, and probably couldn't have an intelligent conversation about the issues. People! Why can't we all be perfect!!