Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What to Wear to Work

Having recently moved desks (and groups, coincidentally) at the new office, I'm now on the long arm of the L, which is readily populated by a decent proportion of other females, and from my desk I can see people going to and from the kitchen. This means I am now qualified to let you all know what the professional London female is wearing this fall!

Let's start at the top and work our way down!
So tops. The conservative choice is certainly the blouse, and most days I wear one myself. In fact, I'm wearing a blouse today. It's dark blue. Anyways, the blouses I see around vary widely in color and somewhat in style, certainly more so than the male counterpart of 'should I wear a blue shirt or a white shirt today'. Oh, and the blouse is tucked in. The popular alternative to the blouse is the solid-color sweater, sometimes over blouses or as a layering piece, but often on their own. They can be v-neck or scoop neck (you don't tend to see crew neck outside of cardigans), and are conservatively cut. You do not see t-shirts.

Bottoms! The younger people tend to be, the more likely they are to wear skirts (from my estimation!). Personally, aside from a couple days where I wore jeans for site visit purposes, I haven't worn pants to work since around July. Nice pants are also a popular choice, I've just decided they're a bit boring! The range of skirts is quite considerable, but the staple is still the knee-length black skirt. Most skirts tend to be solid-colored, but you do find some with prints amongst the slightly flower child crowd. Somewhere in between the top and the bottom falls the dress. While you see a few very conservative suit-type dresses around, it's more common to see somewhat less formal dresses, often accompanied by a sweater. They tend to be less formal than other work outfits, so I tend to wear them on Fridays. We don't have a casual day, but in my mind it's just a bit less formal.

Lower still...In my estimation the primary advantage of wearing skirts instead of pants is that you get to wear tights! Now sometimes tights drive me slightly insane, like when you're walking outside and they're slowly slipping down and there's no PC way to address the problem. However, popular yet again this year in London is the opaque tight. While black is again the staple, you are seeing more range in color this year. Also back in lesser esteem is the fashion tight, which are typically black and patterned in some way. My new acquisitions for the year include heather grey tights and some eggplanty-purple tights (and I got shoes in the same color, go me!). In the office, I've seen a lot of brown tights being worn with brown skirts, which is something I'm secretly aspiring to.

Shoes! Boot season has most certainly arrived! They come in black or brown and are generally either flat or have a very low heel. In pumps, thick heels are in! And they tend to be black as well. As with my eggplant shoe/tight situation (which I have worn together once!) you do see some tight/shoe matching. In addition to black, brown and eggplant, this is perhaps most commonly seen in shades of grey.

So there you have it, what to wear to work this fall. As for men, same standards apply: blue or white shirt, grey pants, black shoes. Perhaps a sweater if it's cold!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fashion! Woo-hoo!! I wish, wish, wish people dressed up a bit more here. I like to, and often feel weird for doing so. But then I do get compliments, often from the younger crowd (which is just about everyone because I'm so old!). Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the lower heeled boot is in. Much classier than the spike-heel-****-me boot. And tights--they've been in style for a long time, and I love them. I should get a little more colorful--I only have black, brown, and navy. Just yesterday I wore black tights, black flippy skirt that was just below the knee, white tank and a peachy, cute cardigan. I think I was the only one here wearing a skirt! I'm impressed that one can buy dresses for work in England. I keep looking for work dresses, and keep coming up empty handed. I'm tempted at times to haul out the old sewing machine and make something. Oh, and what about black with brown? Are people wearing that over the pond? I think I saw some of that last year, but haven't tempted it.

I noticed you said "pants" and "sweater." Not very British!

Aaron said...

The main fashion trend at my work tends to be tshirts, Carhartts, and boots - hiking or work, with a pair of rubber boots to change into when the situation calls for it. Oh, and we're moving into fleece season - either vests or pullovers.

Buehler Recipes said...

My morning... which cords? which cami-shirt-sweater combo? Temperatures vary widely in my ancient government building (not to mention my ancient menopausal body), so I dress in layers.
Low healed boots? Really? I shopped for boots yesterday, the lady at 'N' practically threw me out because I couldn't find the perfect pair. But seriously, Between $150 and $250 for shoes... they better be perfect.
Um, I still don't have boots. But the quest is on.

Anonymous said...

Well, Aaron, I do bring out the fleece on casual-day (Fridays). A lot of my fleece has my work logo on it, so it's only right that I wear it once in awhile, though it's really for outdoor wear.

And when I shop these days--I gotta love it and it has to be perfect (especially shoes & pants) or I'm not forking over any $$. Yeah, I can tell the sales people seem a little short-tempered these days. I also noticed some stores are bringing back lay-away. They seem to be struggling!

Anglo Mango said...

Perhaps I should start a fleece trend. And just tell everyone that that is how people dress at work in the US...