Friday, August 15, 2008

Bespoke

Bespoke is a new word to me, but like so many new words, it now manages to pop up all over the place.

The concept of bespoke was apparently originally reserved for suits made by Saville Row tailors. More specifically, made to measure suits. Perhaps one might call them bespoke tailors. But apparently people like the ring of the word, over the blah alternatives of 'made-to-order' or 'custom made', and it is now applied to a wide variety of items.

Example 1: Development Site Masterplan
I've received today an updated copy of a masterplan for a site I'm working on. In the notes it advertises that there will be an 'arrangement of bespoke townhouses' at the entrance to the site. This seems a slightly odd application of the term, as I'm pretty sure there's no generic townhouse factory in Lincolnshire pumping out identical homes, but I suppose we'll have to roll with it.

Example 2: Grand Designs
They've used the word bespoke several times on the tv show Grand Designs, which features a guy who really likes houses following around people building ambitiously designed houses (which I'm sure are bespoke in their own right). It's used in relation to things such as kitchens and handrails. But the Grand Design man likes to use a rich vocabulary to describe things, and bespoke just fits in with his narratives.

Example 3: New Guy
We've got a new guy at my work (well, a month now) who is a bit higher up. His first day after lunch he began complaining heavily of the lack of food options at Notting Hill Gate (which is so ridiculous that it's not even debatable) as there was no place featuring bespoke salads. I refrained from suggesting he walk ten minutes down the road to Whole Foods, which features what must be the largest salad bar in London, as I sort of get the impression he would expect someone else to make the salad while he points at things. The lack of choices means he must bring his lunch in to work with him.

Example 4: Me!
I'm going to start using the word bespoke as much as possible. For example, I like to think that I make bespoke dinners, my showers are generally bespoke (I do pick the general order, although I do stick with the general rule of shampoo then conditioner), my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are certainly bespoke (hand-crafted! catered to individual tastes!), and as with many people, my pile of papers all over my desk is certainly bespoke. However, I must admit that I will not be having a bespoke sandwich or salad for lunch today. And I'm sure I will suffer greatly as a result.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Mr. Uppity would like Subway for lunch for a bespoke sandwich. I think they have salads, too, so that should please him, too, because I'm sure all he'd have to do is point. Who cares if the food is crap -- it's bespoke, so therefore cool, right?? Am I picking up on this OK?